L’Ordre Martiniste of Papus (Dr Gerard Encausse), created in 1888. Papus was its sole Grand Master from 1888 till his death in 1916. The Order went dormant and was revived by Philippe Encausse, his son, in 1958. In 1960, taking the succession of Henri-Charles Dupont, Philippe Encausse became Grand Master and revived the Order. His occupied this office from 1960 and resigned in 1971. Irenee Seguret succeeded him in 1971 and stayed in office till 1974. Philippe Encausse took the function again in 1975, finally resigning in 1979. Emilio Lorenzo leads the Order since 1979.
In 1918, the Martinist Order had signed an alliance with the Universal Gnostic Church, making that body the official Church of that Order. Philippe Encausse, having been ordained to the Priesthood of the Gnostic Church, signed in 1968, a Protocol confirming the alliance of 1918, and making the theology defined by the Gnostic Church, the official teaching of his Martinist Order and the servicesof that church were to become the official sacramental support for its members.
Many Martinists objected to this limitation of their religious freedom. A number of them, mostly outside France, simply resignedwhile others joined two newly created Orders:
L’Ordre Martiniste Belge, presided by the Belgian astrologer Gustave-Lambert Brahy, and
L’Ordre Martiniste des Pays-Bas, presided by Maurice H. Warnon, both former members of Supreme Council of the Ordre Martiniste.
The foundation of both Orders, which will be described below, was achieved on request of Philippe Encausse to offer an alternative for theobjecting members of his Order.
The Federation of the Martinist Orders was founded in 1958 with Philippe Encausse as its only President and disappeared when he died. Its purpose was to unite all the Martinist Orders. It was recognized by the Ordre Martiniste of Papus, the Ordre Martiniste-Martineziste of Lyons, the Martinist Order of the “Elus Cohen”, and the Ordre Martiniste et Synarchique. It is as President of this Federation that Philippe Encausse suggested the creation of the Martinist Order of the Netherlands, in 1975.
L’Ordre Martiniste-Martineziste of Lyons was founded by Charles Detre in 1916. The successive Grand Masters of this Order were:
Charles Detre “Teder” (1916-1918),
Jean Bricaud (1918 1934),
Constantin Chevillon (1934-1944).
It was finally closed by its last Grand Master Henri-Charles Dupont on the 14th of December 1958 by merging with the Federation of the Martinist Orders of Philippe Encausse, and the Martinist Order of the “Elus Cohen” of Robert Ambelain.
L’Ordre Martiniste des Elus-Cohen de l’Univers founded by Don Martinez de Pasqually in 1768. It was merged with Free Masonry by his disciple and successor Jean-Baptiste Willermoz. It was revived after World War 2 by Robert Ambelain, and definitively closed by him in a declaration printed in the Martinist magazine L’Initiation, in 1964.
L’Ordre Martiniste et Synarchique was directed for many years by Victor Blanchard. This order was one of the original participants in FUDOSI organization and Blanchard was one of the original three “imperators” presiding over this organization.
L’Ordre Martiniste Traditionnel was created by Augustin Chaboseau, in parallel with the “L’Ordre Martiniste-Martineziste” of Lyons to succeed to Papus. Augustin Chaboseau was a member of the original Supreme Council of 1888, and was in reality the occult director of the first Martinist Order. Objecting to the religious orientation of Charles Detre and the Universal Gnostic Church, he continued to transmit the Western tradition through this organization. Directly or indirectly, he initiated Martinists who would continue the fight for religious freedom: Jules Boucher, Gustave Lambert Brahy, Maurice Wamon.
L’Ordre Martiniste Traditionnel of the AMORC. Affiliated with the Ancient and Mystic Order of the Rose and the Cross (A.M.O.R.C.) created by H. Spencer Lewis. After the death of Dr. Lewis, this Order was validly established by his son, Ralph Maxwell Lewis, who was initiated by Augustin Chaboseau and appointed as Sovereign General Delegate for California and the United States of America. Ralph Lewis separated the American Delegation from the parent Order on the 14th of August 1951 to created a new Order using the same name as Chaboseau’s and claiming to be his rightful successor. This is the only Martinist Order declining to admit Martinists from other Martinist brotherhoods as visitors.
L’Ordre Martiniste Initiatique was created by Jules Boucher also as a reaction of the growing influence of the Universal Gnostic Church. His intention was to reconnect Martinisme with Free Masonry.The French Masons, being in great majority hostile to Christianity, didn’t support his efforts and this Order disappeared quietly with the death of its founder.
L’Ordre Martiniste Belge, created at the request of Philippe Encausse in 1968. The members of the Supreme Council were Gustave-Lambert Brahy, Pierre-Marie Hermant, Stephane Beuze, Maurice Wamon, who resigned in 1975 to work in the “Ordre Martiniste des Pays-Bas”. All four were former members of the Supreme Council of the Franch “Ordre Martiniste.This branch of Martinism practically disappeared with the demise of Gustave Brahy, in 1991. There is only one Group remaining, under the guidance of Brother Loruite.
L’Ordre Martiniste des Pays-Bas,created at the request of Philippe Encausse in 1975 to allow Members of the Martinist Order to keep the freedom to worship in the churches of their choice.
The members of the Supreme Council were: Maurice Warnon, Augustus Goetmakers, Bep Goetmakers, Femke Iken, Annie Iken, Joan Wamon-Poortman.